Big decision to make

Pablo and I had a lengthy chat with his neurosurgeon this afternoon. He's going to have a rather big decision to make in a couple of months. Due to the fact that there is some tumour left in Pablo's brain tissue, he'll have to decide whether to start radiation treatments in a couple months (once he's all healed up properly from the surgery and the MRIs can then show some clear pictures of his brain). The downside to radiation is that it could change good brain tissue into tumour tissue or could simply affect good cells. Then there are the obvious side effects like vomiting, nausea, skin irritation, etc.

There is a chance that the tumour may never grow back so there is the argument that going ahead with radiation is jumping the gun and could possibly be unnecessary. Because Pablo's tumour is a grade 2 tumour (in the middle of the grade 1-4 spectrum), it is hard to diagnose what is the best way of proceeding - whether to do radiation or wait and possibly undergo another surgery if the tumour grows back.

One of the risks of not doing radiation is that if the tumour does grow back and needs to be removed by another surgery, there is a chance that the second surgery would require removal of some of the brain. Where his tumour was located, there is a chance that removing a bit of the brain would would not be terribly damaging. Possible loss of a bit of sight in the left eye and if brain removal has to go even further back then there is a possibility of speech damage. If the tumour regrows and invades the brain too much, then surgery might not be possible at all.

We have some research to do...

This is really, really tough...


  1. It sounds like lots of tough choices and various options with no certainty in any of them. Still thinking about you and your family. So happy Pablo made it through the surgery....but it feels like it was the beginning of the battle. I was hoping it would be the end and the answer to many questions for you all. Stay strong. You have many sending you lots of positive energy.

  2. It sure does feel like the surgery was just the beginning but we'll pull through this - one hurdle at a time.

  3. Julia,

    I've missed you. My computer has not been happy with me for a few days -- still recovering from a trojan. Yuck.

    I know how hard it is to make decisions about someone else's health. Probably the hardest thing you'll ever have to do.

    I believe The Universe is guiding your steps and that you both will know what to do when you slow down enough to hear the messages. What I would do if I were you and Pablo would be to take as much time as I need to find the answers ... spend time together in quiet places like a park or a church or synagogue. Don't talk. Just hold each other and sit and listen quietly. The answers will come to you in the quiet and in the stillness.

    Yes, you've been given some really difficult 'things' to face; but, in that difficulty you've found the strength of your love. In that strength and in that love that you and Pablo have for each other and with the help of your family and friends and cyber friends, you'll be able to cope with whatever you guys have to face.

    I think about you guys every day. Your entire family is in my heart and in my prayers.



  4. I tend to find comfort in researching stuff like that. I hope that you do too. It's a big decision but I always feel better the more I know.

  5. The research has begun and this is going to be really tough...

    Missed you too Barb. I always look forward to your comments!

  6. I love all your posts about children's rooms and I'm touched by your posts about your husband's tumor and what your family is going through. I am impressed by your strength. I'm curious to see what you find when you research this.

  7. Thank you Erin! I'm curious too as to what we'll find...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...